Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Incident Response

From: "Byrne Ghavalas" <security () nscs uk com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:40:45 -0000

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend writing a script to 'automatically scan them back',
for several reasons.  The most obvious reason is that some scans are
simply spoofed. If a script 'automatically scanned them back', it would
be quite easy to get the script to scan innocent sites.

Naturally there are several other moral and legal reasons for not
writing such a script, but I believe they are off topic for this thread.

With regards to the original question - I agree that there is no need to
take further action.  Provided the firewall logs are showing that the
packets are dropped and the application server logs also appear normal,
nothing further needs to be done.

Reporting of incidents can take quite a lot of effort. If one believes
that an incident is serious enough or warrants reporting, by all means
do so.

Kind regards,

Byrne Ghavalas