Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A Solution for sniffing

From: <David () cawdgw net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 00:36:22 +0100

For a network card to "Sniff" it must be in promiscuous mode, reading all
packets coming in and not dumping those not addressed to it. Google the web
for tools that can find network interface cards in promiscuous mode. I can
think of only two legit reasons to be in that mode: some firewall/IDS's need
that mode to pull in all packets, and someone sniffing the network with
permission. Therefore, after you look and find a netcard in promiscuous
mode, you can check the system files for WHY it is in that mode.

As far as hardware sniffers, Someone else will have to say it with
authority. I think the technique that finds software driven promiscuous
netcards works on hardware sniffers, but I may be wrong.

d. weiss
mcse/ccna/ssp2