Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Low end machines for Firewall/IDS

From: Mike Dresser <mdresser () windsormachine com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:51:51 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, ALBEE,RUSSELL. S FC2 (CV63 CS5) wrote:

Does anybody know of any good locations online to purchase old 486 machines
or low end Pentium machines for use as a Firewall and/or IDS?  I've tried
searching on google and just keeping getting links to Pentium 4 computers.
I will be using either a Linux or BSD flavor on these machines.

How much are you looking to spend, anyways?  You can put together a new
Celeron 1.7  or Athlon XP 1.7+ system for under 250 dollars nowadays.
(case - 40, mb and cpu 140-150, 128 meg memory - 35, 20 gig hard drive -
40-50)

Accessmicro.com will even build you a barebones system without a hard
drive, for 145 or so, with a Duron 900, about 170 with an athlon.

Mike