Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Webmail authentication

From: <riscorp () mindspring com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:57:58 -0500

I may be off base but if the password is requested by an HTML form and you can
modify it, then modify it to something like:

<INPUT TYPE="password" AUTOCOMPLETE="off">

Someone could use a browser were the AUTOCOMPLETE attribute is disabled but
standard browsers appear to support this, at least when I worked this issue a
couple of years ago for a bank.

WARNING: Any time you send information or a command to a browser, you must
assume that the information can be modified or ignored. Therefore, having a
corporate policy is also an important step. The above attribute method just
pushes people in the right direction. It does not guarantee their behavior.

Mark

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:46:02 +0800 Michael Boman