Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Network Audit Tool Question

From: "Havens, Ben" <benh () bf umich edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:59:05 -0500

Nessus (nessus.org) has a plugin for checking service pack level.  Don't see one for querying installed hotfixes, but
you might be able to rework this one to return those hotfix regkeys/values.  That appears to be all that Winfingerprint
does.

IMHO, this is not a very reliable method.  Something like Hfnetchk (shavlik.com) which also verifies file versions and
checksums would give you a better idea of whether installed hotfixes are still intact.

-Ben