Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to authentificate an user via telephon?

From: "Brian Cook" <BrianM.Cook () trcinc com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:38:56 -0500

most corporate helpdesks i'm aware of have used either the user's
employee number or, where applicable, badge/ID number. where i am, i
have the luxury of knowing my coworkers by sight and voice, so when they
ask me for a reset, i know who i'm dealing with. (advances in cloning
technology may obsolete this method, however...)

my personal preference is to establish with the user a confirmation
code/phrase which is tied to their login (stored in an IT-only database
or tied into active direcotry's structure). somewhat analogous to
another poster's "security question" used with ISPs.

as a very last resort, faxing identification would work as well, though
it'd be tedious and a lot more hassle than the above method.

cheers,
--bmc