Security Basics mailing list archives

Remote Office VPNs

From: StraitNo7 () aol com
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 14:51:21 -0500

     My question is regarding small remote offices with <25 users.  Business Class DSL has become an option for small
offices since the cost is much less than a T1.  I need a VPN based solution and need some advice.  I am looking for
your opinions of two different methods of gaining secure connectivity to a major office:

1) I know many of the draws back with using a small appliance such as a PIX or symantec appliance and allowing split
tunneling (internet access directly instead of forcing them back through a vpn) but are they really that weak?

2) Should I just go with a IP based vpn from an ISP?  Such as using a Cosign box at the CO and allowing the encryption
to be done by the ISP?  It would stay on the private backbone and not enter the public internet.  Although that last
mile would be unencryption just as on a frame relay.