Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: XP Standardization

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:17:57 -0800

From: ohnonono () hushmail com
I am trying to standardize the desktop for all new users on Win XP SP >1. We are doing this mostly for security reasons. We are tired of >having different people having different desktops. It would be nice >to have all the players on the team wearing the same jersey for lack >of a better metaphor. The users are Memebers of a Win 2k Domain >running AD. My question is this; how do I get all users to have the >same profile as default. I remember in 2000 and NT 4 you created the >profile and then copied it over to the default user. There does not >appear to be a default user in XP. I have set up the profile the way I >wanted it but I am not sure where to copy it over to

There are probably multiple ways to do this, here is the one I know. Set all users to have roaming profiles, set up the desktop you want them to have, then change the file Ntuser.dat to Ntuser.man Once you do this any time they log in they will recieve the default profile, and it will be read only so any changes they make will not be saved.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."