Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NAT and Web Server Security

From: "Cheryl Goh" <cherylgoh () elock com my>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:28:15 +0800

When NAT is configured at the firewall to allow the public to access a web
server, it is a Static NAT which basically tells the firewall to forward all
traffic destined to the global address of a web server to the internal
address that is unknown to the public. All traffic is passed through and
therefore it will not prevent a hacker from penetrating the server. It will
however hide the ip addresses of all other internal servers, preventing
hackers from accessing those servers directly from the internet.