Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: icmp echo-requests?

From: "smarriott" <smarriott () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:30:22 -0500

In my experience, Microsoft operating systems send a lot of pings to the
Master Browser.  Not sure why.

Eric Schroeder

If it's a Windows network, Eric probably got it right. I have recently noticed that sometimes, on my Windows 2000 (AD)
network, when I am about to print something (I think it's when I get the dialog box with the list of printers, print
properties, etc) I get echo requests from the print servers (i.e., the computers that are sharing those printers).

It is possible that it also happens under other circumstances during normal network usage.