Security Basics mailing list archives

Encrypted Home Directories

From: "Sumit Dhar" <ml_dhar () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:11:24 +0530

Hello Everyone,

First of all thanks for the response. Am trying to respond to many people in
one go...

The Cryptographic Filesystem and the Transparent Cryptographic Filesystem
(TCFS) I have seen for linux.  The latter used the NFS framework to
accomplish is > stuff.  Pam can be used to provide a transparent login
process (no extra password typing need happen).

This looks promising. Will check it out. But a root will be able to
copy/modify/read files when the user is logged in. I dont think it is
possible that root have no access even when the user is logged in. That
might require changes to the kernel?

Could this not be part of the login script that unpacks a gpg file on
login?

Yes it could. But I have a feeling a Encrypted File System might be a better
bet.

you guys are lurking where the MicroBSD project is already cutting a path.

I am looking for something for Linux, as that is the OS I will be working
on.

Thanks once again to all those who responded.

With Regards,
Sumit Dhar
http://www.rootshell.be/~dhar