Security Basics mailing list archives

Answering my own question [was Re: NetBIOS Messenger spam - how did it get in?]

From: Damon McMahon <inst_karma () hotmail com>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 22:54:54 -0000

Thank you to those who took the time to provide some
advice. On some further research I have discovered an
answer to my question which I believe many on this list
may find of interest [below].

The gateway host of my small workgroup has just become
a 'victim' of the recent spate of SPAM using the
NetBIOS Messenger Service. However, I'm seeking advice
on how it managed to get through what I thought was a
reasonably secure gateway.

[snip]

I have ZoneAlarm Pro installed on the gateway, which
allows NetBIOS traffic over the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet
but rejects NetBIOS traffic from any other IP. This
rule is explicitly defined in the ZA Pro configuration,
and appears to be working as the ZA Pro logs are full
of rejected packets from internet IPs attempting to
access NetBIOS ports on the host.

As it turns out, the SPAM was not using NetBIOS at all
but rather coming through a RPC endpoint on udp/135
which is mapped by the Windows 2000 Services and
Controller app (SERVICES.EXE). A detailed comparison of
the two methods used by the Messenger Service is given
at
http://mynetwatchman.com/kb/security/articles/popupspam/netsend.htm
.

So as it turns out, this was a misconfiguration of ZA
Pro on my behalf, and in a way I'm happy this has
happened as it has alerted me to the fact that I had
some services installed on my gateway which were wide
open to accepting traffic from the internet. Given that
I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, I will
repeat the advice given at the above resource:

"Users with personal firewalls need to exercise extreme
care when granting permissions to RPC-related
executables (e.g. svchost.exe or services.exe ). If you
mistakenly give these applications full 'server'
rights, then you may be susceptable to Messenger SPAM."