Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pb with P2P...

From: "Salvatore Poliandro" <jello () vanished net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:16:33 -0400

Hi
Depending on your budget and the amount of users you have I would suggest
looking into a packet shaper such as http://www.packeteer.com/  .  We have
had tremendous success using this device to block all file sharing on our
network, especially on the student side.  It allows you to manage classes of
traffic and set priorities on packets.  Takes a little bit of tweaking, but
their support has been superb.

Sal

Hi everyone,
I have to avoid users using P2P softs like Kazaa on a network. I wanted
to close ports like 1214 but I red that theses softs can also use
dynamic ports. One solution could be to close every port that are not
used by "legal" application but for example, ftp is legal and use
dynamic port too for data...
Does anyone have a solution?? (Software or anything else)
Thanks in advance!!

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.