Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Automated analysis of logs?

From: "Jon Pastore" <jpastore () idetech net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:06:38 -0400

fair statement but if you reverse the process of your scripts to output
unknown or exceptions this will speed up the under funded IT dept's efforts
in log analysis...I don't have time to look @ logs all day...I'd rather eat
pain killers they'd be more fun and I'd fall asleep just as fast =) my eyes
start to glaze over after a few thousand lines =)

I guess really it's all in the logic of your analysis tools and what you're
trying to analyze.  Most tools are designed for the intent of trending for
proactive IT efforts.  Security based scripts for analysis should be
effective and think if properly coded would help in expediting an attack or
misuse or exploit

-Jon