Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall on Mac OS X

From: Norman Franke <franke1 () llnl gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:36:49 -0700

Mac OS X comes with a firewall. Go to System Preferences, the Sharing panel, click on Firewall. You can also use Brickhouse to let you customize it a little more (http://www.securemac.com/brickhouse.php) I believe the built-in one is based on ipfw.

-Norman Franke
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

At 5:20 PM -0700 4/11/03, James Z may have written:
I'm looking for recommendations for a firewall to use on a Macintosh running
OS X. I'm running a demo of Netbarrier X and have a router in front of the
Mac. Nothing ever comes through the router so I have no idea if the firewall
offers any extra protection.

I also have a Sunblade 100 and need to install a firewall on it and thought
sun's free firewall would be good.

James Zuchelli
SQA Engineer

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.