Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: multicast connection trials from a home machine - is it regular?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:56:12 -0700

"1.  Do you have a default gateway specified?"

Not specified by me. This machine is at home, dialups to an
ISP, then it's their way to the Net.

  Okay, when you dial up, it should be receiving a gateway
address along with the IP, net mask, DNS, etc.  So it shouldn't
need to go searching for a router.

"2.  Have you installed any of the "routing"*
protocols?(OSPF, RIP, etc) [If so, WHY???]

I've not installed anything ----knowingly... If they *are*
in this machine, where can I find them? Under which names?

  When you select Properties on a network connection, you'll see
a box which specifies the adapter and a list of components with
check marks beside them.  For a normal TCP/IP connection, there
will be three components:  Client for Microsoft Networks,
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (which you may
want to un-check on the dial-up connection...), and the TCP/IP
protocol itself.
  Some products such as network sniffers or VPN clients install
additional components, so I can't just say "Blow away everything
else."  But it doesn't sound like *in your case* you need anything
else that's listed.

"You do not need them unless your box is acting as a router for a
complex/dynamic network."

Well, that is what I suspect. That this box was used as a
router somehow... by means of an intrusion.
I'm ready to do a good old Format C:, but I was trying to
learn something
about what was done, prior to erase the clues. I think that
this "calling
multicast" is an abnormal behavior for a *home* Win98
machine. The line
"Owner: Tcpip Kernel Driver" in the firewall log maybe means
"something" is trying to go out.

  I don't think I've ever heard of a real intrusion making a
machine into a router.  (A *proxy*, perhaps, but that's not
the same thing.)  There's a common suggestion that people
come up with to deploy a machine with one interface on a
trusted network and one on an untrusted network; us security
folks advise against that because an intruder *might* turn it
into a proxy/router (but more likely a proxy...) to bypass the
normal gateway to the trusted network.

  On NT, all you needed to do to make a box a router was to
check one box in the Network configuration.  (I've actually had
a clueless user DO that, which probably wouldn't have been a
problem if they hadn't ALSO installed RIP.)  On 2000, you have
to update the registry by hand to do this -- but if your box
was upgraded to 2000 from NT....

David Gillett

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics