Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Zenworks

From: "Richard Huffman" <HuffmanR () retail si edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:25:43 -0400

We under-utilize it, mostly working with Application Launcher, but we've had
a great deal of success with it.  The only problems we have had have been
fairly predictable; it gives you the ability to propagate one error across
every machine in your network.  The PC-anywhere type desktop viewing is
nice, but we rarely use it - NWAdmin was an acceptable interface for it,
Console One is.. well.. Console One.

The workstation management tools create about the same possible security
flaws as the regular use of ghost, pc anywhere/terminal services, and any
sentralized timed task control.  Just make sure as few people as possible
have r00t for the containers you implement it in, and you should be fine -
the danger with Zenworks is in two people giving conflicting sets of
instructions.

Richard Huffman
SBV/MIS

"Hart, Lee Anne" <lhart () mc cc md us> 04/16/03 11:51AM >>>
We are implementing Zenworks and I am interested in hearing other
peoples experience with that product in terms of any added security
benefit and/or increased security risk as well as your opinions of the
product.  Thanks, Lee Anne

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics