Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [unisog] Zenworks

From: "Bill Martin" <bmartin () luc edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:43:35 -0500

Lee Anne,

ZenWorks has expanded over the years.  There are multiple version and functionality.  I will assume for this response
that you are referring to ZenWorks for Desktops.

From the desktop standpoint, Zen for Desktops (Zfd3) is relatively robust and useful. Assuming you have your tree
structured well, the security risks are minimal.  We use it for our entire institution and have had a great deal of
success with it.  There are however some nuances which would be difficult to itemize in mail.

Every organization will use different pieces and in slightly different manners.  What I can say is that I had worked
with MS SMS some time back and now have extensive experience w/ Zfd3, to compare them would be like apples and oranges.
 Each has its strong points and weak points as well.

If you do encounter problems with Zfd, there are always work arounds.  If you will be managing Windows desktops, your
experience will be at times difficult to understand what takes place when, but all and all, from a security standpoint,
you risk is or can be greatly reduced using *ANY* central delivery model if your organization is tight to begin with.

-bill martin-
loyola university chicago

"Hart, Lee Anne" <lhart () mc cc md us> 04/16/03 10:46AM >>>
We are implementing Zenworks and I am interested in hearing other
peoples experience with that product in terms of any added security
benefit and/or increased security risk as well as your opinions of the
product.  Thanks,

Lee Anne

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics