Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall/Router

From: Xaos <xaos () compulink gr>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:11:43 +0300

The main reason i can see to prefer a hardware firewall is that since a software firewall will be installed on a windows system it will be inevitably depending upon that system's capabilities and vurnable due to that system's weaknesses... What i mean is there's always a chance that a new bug for windows will be discovered that will allow an attacker to by-pass your firewall in which case neither you nor your firewall vendor will be able to do something about it. Whereas if something goes wrong with PIX you know that you only have one company to talk to in order to fix it...

nsm () e-paradise net wrote:

I work for a consulting company that services businesses with 30 to 200 clients. Our IT Manager likes to use a Linksys, or a 3Com hardware firewall solution. He is also thinking of introducing the Symantec Raptor (I could be incorrect on the name) software solution. We are mostly a windows based firm with little *nix experience, so most software solutions are out already.

My reason for posting is:

I would like to provide a valid argument for not using a software solution, and making our hardware solutions a little more upscale, say PIX, Nokia, Checkpoint etc. The IT managers argument is that he finds far less vulnerabilities in the software solutions or the Linksys and 3Com than what he does in the PIX etc.

I am of course familiar with all of the basic differences, I am more so looking for valid argumentative points.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics