Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Incident response to being scanned

From: "Fields, James" <James.Fields () bcbsfl com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:44:58 -0400

Bob,

I see the same here.  I'm also trying to come up with a standard methodology
for dealing with these.  We do automatic temporary blocking of source
addresses based on a limited selection of IDS signatures, but that doesn't
fix the problem - in particular a lot of these are probably coming from
infected systems elsewhere, and the owners may not know they have a problem.

At my company we have a Computer Security department that is supposed to
handle "policy" while I handle infrastructure - the actual implementation of
the corporate policy in the hardware.  Our CS guys have never given us a
really good incident response procedure to cover this.

In the absence of that, I have taken the stance that if it is one hit from
one source, I don't bother reporting it.  If it is true scanning - multiple
hits from the same source, or from several sources on the same subnet, I try
one (and only one) attempt to reach the abuse address for that network if
one exists.

By the way - I've been getting more and more from European colleges and
universities lately, and many from companies that have the same first octet
in the IP address block as ours.