Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Policy-Please help

From: Jason Armstrong <jarmstrong () technicacorp com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:18:11 -0400

From http://www.sans.org :

What is a security policy?

All security and technical training classes talk about the necessity of
basing procedures on a good security policy. We need to understand what is
meant by policy.

For an expansive repository of sample security policies view: "The SANS
Security Policy Project" at:
http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/

Safeguarding information is challenging when records are created and stored
on a computer. Research projects are often excellent resources for security
policies. A good sample of one is "Global Incident Analysis Center" at:
www.sans.org/y2k/sec_policy.htm

To learn how to define a sample security policy see the document "GIAC ISO
Practical Assignment, VPN/Extranet Service Provider Security Policy and
Procedure" by Jonathan Espenschied at:
http://www.giac.org/practical/Jonathan_Espenschied_GISO.pdf

For a more advanced point of view check out "Track 10: Sans Security
Essentials for Auditors" which is designed for individuals entering the
information security industry who are tasked with auditing organizational
policy, procedure, risk or policy conformance.
http://www.sans.org/onsite/track10.php