Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus Software

From: shamrock () engram psych uw edu pl
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:42:12 +0200

salgak () speakeasy net napisaƂ:
-----Original Message-----
From: Justin F. Knox [mailto:jknox () indexzero org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 6, 2003 11:43 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Anit-Virus Software
In the field, I have worked with McAfee, CA, Symantec (Norton) and Trend
Micro.

I've also worked with SOPHOS.  Nice product, VERY lightweight as far as system impact goes, highly clueful tech
support: at a now-2-years-dead dotcom I worked for, it identified one of our custom Java applets as viral.  With a code
sample and a copy of the AV message, they had an updated definitions file to us in 4 hours. . . and pushed it out to the
world as well.

I disagree. I used Sophos over 2 years and I had some problems.
It didn't find viruses sometimes although I made upgrades.
I also used it with amavis and qmail and it sometimes crashed my MTA . Best wishes,
Shamrock