Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network scanning

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 19:00:14 -0400

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 16:51, netsec novice wrote:
Are there tools out there that would allow system administrators to be
notified when a new workstation attaches to a network?  I'm thinking both
wireless and ethernet in this case.  SNMP maybe?  I am in a credit union
environment and my concern is that someone would be able to steal an
existing jack or a jack that is not physically protected but live and be
able to capture traffic or do reconaissance.  We don't have Wireless access
at this point but may look to it in the future.  My only thought in that
case would be to encrypt all traffic since wireless security is a bit scary
at this point.  Any ideas?

arpwatch

use that in combination with a lock down of which MAC addresses are
allowed to access the DHCP service, and you ought to be golden.

regards,
--
Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>