Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:44:20 -0400

Birl,

To your original question:  It all depends on how the hash is being stored
in your "cross-platform" situation. Microsoft's Unicode table often does not
always map to the extended ASCII character representations of that
particular character.

What happens is although you type "ALT+somenumber" (on the number keypad) in
the keyboard (extended ASCII character) it is immediately translated into
the Unicode table representation of this.  That is why many programs
"user2sid", "Lopht" etc. cannot represent this character. Microsoft stores
these in two separate strings; 1 is ANSI, 1 is Unicode.  If the program is
checking the ANSI string for username with "ALT+228 at the end it will not
find it. (Same thing if it is in the password).

Open Word go to insert symbol. Click on the v (square root symbol).

Look at the bottom of the table it says "Character Code 221A from Unicode
(Hex)"  "Shortcut Key 221A, Alt+X.  I bet you have to hit ALT+251 to
reproduce it though.

So your answer is "MAYBE".  If the hash is passed along in Unicode from
platform to platform and the Unicode tables match you may have a happy
cross-platform password.  For one software application it may work for
another it might not.

There is a short reference to it in a post I made a while back, please take
a look at it.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/88/312263

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net