Security Basics mailing list archives

Modem connection

From: "none" <ice4ice () excite com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:43:00 -0400 (EDT)

hi, i'm a simple man, i can't affort anything faster than 56k :>
 I'm running XP, with Forton Firewall; the problem i occured that packets can be sent to me with +++ATHO, which will
nicelly disconnect me. Uner linux i found that that command can be disabled via querying the modem. Some of the ICMP
senders will do it to 135 port; disabling the whole protocol won't do it. We tried it.
 I don't think that the firewall is actually catching the packets, before they reach modem :> ,so i'm trapped, trying
different software won't help, eg BlackIce didn't help. My mate tried from freeBSD, by going on higher port (cant
remember) and disconnecting me, but ip ban solved that.
Q. is there an answer to that? i can't setup a hardware firewall, and i need windows to run more often than linux (for
the time being.)
  Can someone send a link for more info on ICMP?
Thanks, and sorry for my poor english.

Eliminate pop-ups before they appear!
Visit www.PopSwatter.com now - It's FREE.