Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: "Rubottom, Karl" <karlr () SHERIDAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:35:04 -0600

You can telnet to a port

telnet 172.16.0.1 677

-----Original Message-----
From: Birl [mailto:sbirl () temple edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 11:31 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

As it was written on Aug 7, thus ian () kingcon com spake unto
security-basics...:

Ian:  Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:44:58 -0400
Ian:  From:  <ian () kingcon com>
Ian:  To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Ian:  Subject: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address
Ian:
Ian:  Hello,
Ian:
Ian:  I am looking for a windows compatible utility or method,
preferably
Ian:  command line, where I can verify whether a port on an ip address
is
Ian:  reachable or not.  I want to be able to do individual ports and
not
Ian:  port scans.  Say for instance I wish to verify that port 677 is
Ian:  closed to traffic on ip address Ex. 172.16.0.1, I'm looking for a
Ian:  utility that would do something like:
Ian:
Ian:  Check 172.16.0.1 port 677
Ian:
Ian:  and tell me whether that port was reachable.
Ian:
Ian:  So if I have two networks and I use this command from one I can
Ian:  determine whether a port is reachable on another.  To determine
Ian:  whether a security measure is failing or not.
Ian:
Ian:  There may be a simple way to do this...
Ian:
Ian:  Thanks
Ian:  Ian

I dont understand why you wouldnt portscan.

You could tell nmap (or in your OS, WinNmap) to just probe a single IP's
UDP (or TCP) port.

nmap is designed to be flexable.  It's what I use when testing for a
specific port.

Thanks

 Scott Birl
http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple
University
==*====*

---
----