Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Getting In

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:48:50 -0700

  In my case, it was a series of fortuitous accidents.  I'm sure
that's not what you want to hear, since it's not something you
could replicate.

  (I was a software engineer for almost twenty years, for half a
dozen different companies.  One day, I arrived at work and was
told "We've hired a new Director of Engineering, and he's bringing
in his own team.  We've decided to rename the old team 'Operations'
and assign you the task of building a network to host our services
instead of building them yourselves."  Suddenly, I was a network
engineer instead.
  The plan was to bring in a consultant for a few months to set up
our initial network security, while searching for a permanent person.
But this was 1997, with the Internet bubble still growing mightily,
and affordable network security engineers were pretty thin on the
ground.  So I inherited what the consultant had set up, and ran
with it.
  When that start-up decided to downsize, I had to decide if I was
a software engineer who had spent a couple of interesting years in
networking, or a network engineer specializing in security who had
some background in software.  I'd found something I loved, so I
opted for the latter; two employers later, that's what I'm still
doing.)

David Gillett