Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Recommendable Windows firewall with NAT sought

From: "Michael Dunn" <MDunn () sscincorporated com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:04:52 -0400

Sven,

A properly hardened NT box makes a decent bastion host.

While not free, I have had good success with Microsoft's ISA server.  There are a few books I recommend if you go that
route:

Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers Stefan Norberg - 1-56592-768-0
Configuring ISA Server 2000 - Dr. Thomas Shinder - 1-928994-29-6
ISA Server and Beyond Dr. Thomas Shinder - 1-931836-66-3

It does NAT by setting the client's default gateway to be that of the ISA box. Or, if using Windows clients, you can
install the ISA client and then get full control of where and when they can surf.

I ran Win2k and ISA on a Celeron 333a with 128MB - it was very slow to use the console, but our T1 line at 1.5 Mbps
worked fine. It actually sped up some sites, as ISA can act as a cache as well.

Best of luck with your implementation!

-Mike