Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DCOM Hotfix breaks our software

From: alex mole <alex.mole () realtimeworlds com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:25:34 +0100

Unfortunately, the software needs DCOM, so that;s not really an option...

Christophor Rick wrote:
Alex,

 There was a workaround before the fix came out. On the Windows 2000 and XP
machines you can run dcomcnfg and under Component Services --> Computer -->
My computer right click to properties. Under the default properties tab you
can uncheck "Enable Distributed COM on this computeer" that should close the
vulnerability for the time being. It basically refuses connection on port
135 from what I understand. When you then run the 823980 scan utility it
should show up as refused connection or unable to connect.

Chris

---
Christophor Rick
Lapham Hall Room 240