Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best practice for security implementation

From: Jeff <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:47:32 -0400

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:44:43PM +0530, D N Vaidya wrote:
Dear List members,

I like to know that in datacenter environment if Windows, Linux, Solaris
systems are hosted, then how to keep track of vulnerability in all
machines. If any new vulnerability arised or disclosed then how to
execute patch up hundreds of production system with out affecting the
system.

Also Microsoft is releasing daily new patches and service packs, how to
verify wheather the release is required for our system or not? Same
question is there about Linux and Solaris.

How to upgrade Hardening process of OS?
Which tool is best for vulnerability accessment?

Sincerely,
D.N.Vaidya

greetings,

I am *sure* Sun Microsystems will sell you a support contract for Solaris,
and at least Red Hat Linux will also do something similar for you-- just
contact the appropriate vendor directly.

I do not use Microsoft, so I cannot comment on their update policy, but
basically anytime a vendor releases a patch you will need to evaluate it
carefully based on what it "fixes" given your computing environment.

on my own network, I pretty much update immediately whenever Red Hat
releases a patch-- I use 'up2date -u' and it all just works, and I've never
had a problem with their patches.

regards,