Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Design

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:48:22 -0700

The setup looks good, make sure to use IDS no matter what Gartner states.
IDS (NFR-Network Flight Recorder or Cisco for Cost of ownership reasons) is
a tool not "does it all" device to detect malicious activity.  Continuous
monitoring, patch integration, replacing legacy technology, education,
upgrading, and due diligence is how you stay ahead of the crackers.

Firewall Recs:

If you are using Cisco and believe in Cost of Ownership, then go with the
PIX.

However, Secure Computing's Sidewinder and Cyberguard have the least amount
of known or major vulnerabilities and exploits.

Regards,

Greg DeGennaro Jr., CCNP
Security Analyst