Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Is getting GSEC (and eventually GSE) from GIAC worth it ?

From: "Graydon McKee" <graydon.s.mckee.iv () orcmacro com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:42:40 -0500

I just got my GSEC a month ago and I thought I'd put my two cents worth in on this.  I would say
that like any other certification out there, you need some experience under your belt to go with
your certification.  The GIAC certifications not only test that you have the knowledge about a topic
but do you know how to use that knowledge thru very specific questions.  I believe their aim (check
out their site) is to prevent any "paper" GIAC certified people.  As someone who has had work with a
"paper" MCSE.  The certification is worthless if you can't perform to that level.  I'm sure that
anyone involved in managing people in the security field will tell you that they are looking for
people who can hit the ground running.  Try to focus on the Security + or some basic Microsoft
courses first and then after you get your feet wet go for the GSEC.  IMHO of course.  In the end I
believe you'll be better server, both personally and professionally, by getting some experience in
networking prior to going for your GSEC.

Graydon S McKee IV - GSEC
Firewall/Security Administrator
ORC Macro - Macro International
11785 Beltsville Drive