Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: setting access restrictions on external drive

From: jamesworld () intelligencia com
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:07:01 -0600

Format the drive using NTFS  (it's prolly FAT32 be default)

Then with NTFS, you can set ACL's via the security tab.

Give your self access and everyone else DENY access. This plus your encryption should do the trick.

You must of course have physical security of the device. Someone could pick the unit up, and plug it into their laptop, take administrative ownership of everything and still be able to delete your stuff. Maybe even decrypt it if they can get the recovery key from your system or break the crypto......or of corse thing the things is broken and format it to do you a 'favor' :-)