Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HW firewall for LAN

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:20:24 -0800

        Well, you won't likely find a (this is for x users) on 'larger'
firewalls. On smaller SOHO firewalls (SonicWall TELE3 series, Netopia
R910, etc) you can have an enforced limit via licensing or use. On
larger firewalls you will most likely hear about throughput, whether
that's Pps or Bps depends on the vendor.

        The PIX series is more cumbersome then their other IOS
platforms. The PIX uses a 'Secure IOS' and is much like using an old
UNIX server to a new Linux box (csh vs. BASH). The PIX is more of a
handful then its counterparts, (SonicWall, WatchGuard and CheckPoint)
but IMHO I believe its better. For easy of use and feature set there is
no betting a SonicWall, their web administration is a piece of cake to
use and with valueadd services like Web Filtering and Virus Scanning.
I've used a PIX 515 at a 1500 node site without any problems. I've used
WatchGuard and SonicWalls at sub 1000 node sites and more recently setup
a CheckPoint (IP330) at a 2000+ node site.

        I'd give Cisco pre-sales a ring @ 1-800-553-6387. I've used them
many times when I did outsourcing work and the vast majority of the time
then can size up what you need with little BS.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107