Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA certs

From: Gene Yoo <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:59:37 -0800

Chris Berry wrote:
From: "Jason Hastain" <hastain () sbcglobal net>
I have a few clients who are doctors running small practices.  They have
small LAN's and DSL connectinos behind a simple NAT router/firewall in one case and persoanl FW's in the other (unfortunatly not my decision in either
case).

Each has approached me about the HIPAA certs in the last week. I have read
through what seams reams of pages on it b ut have been unable to deduce
anything other than general good security practices.  Strong passwords,
offsite encrypted backups, real firewalls, etc and so on.

Can anyone shed some light onto this subject or point me to a document with
only the IT requirements prefereably boiled down to something simple?

And also has anyone had any experience yet with the HIPAA investigators or quality control people checking on a site? any ideas what they are looking
for?

I understand it is a 20k dollar fine for each infraction so I would hate for
it to be on my watch.

As far as I've been able to determine so far, from IT's point of view, it just means following good security practices, and a ton of documentation. I'm working on this myself so contact me off list if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Linux and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate its complexity until I figure out how something works, then I love its power."

jason, hipaa deals with more than practices and so forth, actually more with transmission and access of patient information. you should ask the vendor to provide you with a documentation on hipaa compliance as i'm sure they'll be more than happy to provide during the rfq/ifb process. i believe there are number of books on IT's role on hipaa and you should research further on this since this is not a simple subject matter.

a good place to start would be the department of health services. gene
--
<<gyoo [at] attbi [dot] com>>