Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet Cafe

From: "Jason Burzenski" <jason.burzenski () kwe com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:13:27 -0500

Terry,

What type of gateway are you using to connect your workstations to the
Internet?  There are several commercial solutions available and at least a
handful of open source.  Choose a solution that meets your business
requirements and your budget.

You could create a linux gateway to route packets between your router and
your workstations.  This is a relatively low cost solution (depending on the
value of your time) and a very robust one.
http://lartc.org/howto/
http://ar.linux.it/software/#rshaper

Cisco has some nice hardware solutions that are worth checking out.  This
solution can be a bit expensive but is sure to get the job done.  I would
also look at some other hardware vendors to see if you can find a solution
that better suits you.  Cisco equipment tends to be overly complex and
expensive (and usually pretty darn reliable).

Some vendor provided software solutions include:
http://www.packeteer.com
http://www.etinc.com

These vendors were picked from a random google...  so this should set you in
the right direction for finding a vendor if you prefer this type of
solution.  I don't know any of these products well enough to make a
recommendation.

Regards,

Jason Burzenski