Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia - Mea Culpa

From: Mel <rockchick () totalise co uk>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 10:18:01 +0000

Would it be possible to elaborate on how the infected email can slip our defenses? My (in-need-of-updating) AV software detected nothing, but at the same time I have not opened or run any attachments sent through this mailing list. My email client is Eudora. Having googled for information regarding this, it is still not clear to me whether the attachment actually has to be run my the user in order for the computer to be infected.
Advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Mel