Security Basics mailing list archives

secure home network with entertainment center/filesharing

From: "J S" <joonsus () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:39:18 -0500

Some suggestions needed:

1. i have 3 computers in my homenetwork behind a netgear firewall

2. i find myself using the main computer (called computer 1) the most
because it is fastest.
i have several sharewares (gre study programs, filesharing apps, etc ) which use apps called "SAVE"/Gain (claims that it's not a spyware but what else can it be?). This computer has an external storage device which contains all my data including a ripped mp3 collection of all my CD's.

i want to make my main computer 1 more secure, away from all the spying and prying eyes but at the same time want the convenience of a fast computer. if i put the problem apps on computer 3, then problem would be solved but it's very inconvenient to walk back and forth 2 computers... as those apps are what i use most frequently.

3. on computer 2, I have built it into an entertainment center so that i can watch DVDs through it's TV-out on my big screen, burn vhs movies into vcd's... etc.

It's also used to play mp3 by accessing computer 1's external drive mp3 collections. This computer isn't really used for anything else. I set up a software firewall on computer 1, encrypted all the sensitive data on external drive except for the mp3 folder (as it isn't considered a sensitive data). Is there a better way make my external drive and computer 1 more out of reach from outside hackers

4. computer 3, in the guest room.  Zonealarm Firewall installed...
I have run into a situation where one of my visitor's (or their kids) browsed an adult site where it downloads a dialer to an international number... I have tried to block this from the phone company but they say that it won't be a solution to the problem since there are many other services similar to it. Is there any way to block permanently from my end?