Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: pcAnywhere...Outbound Only.

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:51:12 -0800

  I had an interesting incident with this a few years back.

  If you start up pcAnywhere as a client, without specifying
a host, it will scan the Class C block you're on (*) for
pcAnywhere-enabled hosts.

* - Unless they've since fixed it, it doesn't look at the
net mask, it just blindly assumes that everyone is on a
Class C subnet.  Clueless.

  Now what happened was that one of our employees was connected
to our office VPN from home, and fired up pcAnywhere to talk
to a server he was working on.
  pcA took his home IP address, "deduced" the Class C block,
and proceeded to port scan the block.
  Now, because he was connected to our VPN, the scan requests
travelled via the VPN to our office network, and tried to go
out to the Internet via our NATting firewall....

  So IF we had allowed outgoing pcA, potentially about 250
hosts, probably belonging to customers of the ISP he used,
would have seen OUR OFFICE FIREWALL port-scanning them to see
if they'd accept pcA connections.  Any of them might have
reported this to our ISP as an attack or hack attempt.

  My recommendation is that if you allow pcA outbound, you
allow it ONLY to specific hosts.

David Gillett