Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: win2k firewall

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 06:53:29 -0800 (PST)

A good firewall gives you more functionality than
mere port-blocking. A good
firewall protects you against DoS attacks which, for
one reason or another,
the O/S of your choice may not (I'm no Win2k expert,
but since when have
Microsoft ever got issues like 'security' and
'robustness' even 90% right?).

MS bashing really doesn't do a lot to support your
argument, particularly when you state that you're
really not up on 2K).  Keeping the system patched and
updated, as well as applying a couple of
well-documented Registry tweaks, will do a lot to
protect you.

In fact, I'd like to hear what DoS attacks you're
talking about.  What specific DoS attacks are out
there that target the Win2K IP stack?

A good firewall records logfiles of traffic in and
out of your box - so that
even if your box is compromised in some fashion, you
have redundancy in your logs.

Agreed.  Other avenues include running snort (free,
runs on Win2k, etc).

Firewalls aren't just to protect you against the
wilderness of the Internet.
They're also a great way to protect yourself against
badness happening
inside your own company, and a great way of
generally keeping an eye on
things - though, as stated, probably not the best
idea to run your firewall on a production web
server.

Will I fully agree, I would like to add a caveat.
This is true, as long as the systems are monitored.  I
see too many systems, every day, that are set up and
left to run, w/o an monitoring.