Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted Mail

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:05:46 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronish Mehta [mailto:sf_mail_sbm () yahoo com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 08:05 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Encrypted Mail

Hi there,
I'm looking for a solution to encrypt my mails and to
ensure that they have not been tampered with.

VeriSign offers such a solution through its Go Secure
solution

I'm looking for solution that are easy to deploy from
clients perspective

(a) Anyone already using GOSecure, and any comments
about it (if this is allowed on the list..)

(b) Any other products that you are using out there
(commercial or freeware)

For email encryption, there's **ALWAYS** PGP ( http://www.pgp.com ) , and for the open-source adovcate out there, GNU
Privacy Guard ( http://www.gnupg.org/ ): both work purely at the client end.

(c) Any security flaws in using solutions for mail
encyption

As always, insufficient key length, insecure algorithm, or hackable passphrase/password.

Thanks

P.S. I;m using Exchange server 5.5 currently, will
migrate to Exchange 2000 soon...

You might want to consider Exchange 2003 instead: it offers encryption at the server level.  I'm not sure if you need
the Outlook 2003 client to make the encryption seamless or not. . .