Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Privacy Policy - we don't need no 'stinking privacy

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:28:58 -0500

Dennis - you may be right that it's probably a CYA.  But I think any web
site also needs to be aware of the sensitivity of the data and take
appropriate measures.  Which they're explicitly saying they don't.  If you
read up on the European data privacy directives - see for example
http://www.cdt.org/privacy/eudirective/ esp. SECTION VIII - CONFIDENTIALITY
AND SECURITY OF PROCESSING, it's an amazing 'privacy policy' for a European
company.

It's not that I'm worried about them selling the data - we haven't gotten
that far yet.  And as you point out, clause #7 is pretty good in that
regard.

But I'm stuck on clause #1 (I'll snip the rest of my original msg and leave
that below).  I'm worried about something much more important than privacy,
namely data security.

They're asking for (perhaps) the 2nd most sensitive piece of information
about someone, your passport #.  Combined with all the other data about me,
and the times I'll be away from home, etc.  And they're sticking all this
into a database with zero security?

That's my concern...

-----Burton