Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What is this port? is it a trojan?

From: entmoot () gmx de
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 04:05:11 +0200

Hi,

On Mon Jun 30  05:52PM, Hyperion wrote:
Hello all :)

 Just recently I have taken to doing regular, netstat - probes on my machine
to see the different connections that arise and so forth.
 Today I found a rather mysterious port with the number, 44334 and I have
copied/paste the results of the netstat -an below for people to look at.
 Is the port in question, -44334- a Trojan? it strikes me as a rather
suspicious port and a rather large port number.
 Could anyone tell me how I can find out what's running behind the port in
question, and also what to do about it if it is a port.

Details of netstat below::

Active Connections

  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  UDP    0.0.0.0:44334          *:*

I am not an expert on this and i have no idea, what could be listening
on udp port 44334, but there is a netstat option -p, which will show you
the programm associated with this port.
Hope this will help clearing up the the problem.

greets, andreas

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm