Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and DMZ topology

From: "Depp, Dennis M." <deppdm () ornl gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:40:51 -0400

I'm not sure how a tri-homed firewall can be just as secure as a two
firewall setup.  Consider this:

Hacker is able to penetrate your firewall and "owns" the box.  In a
tri-homed firewall, they now have direct access to your internal
network.  If this had been a two firewall setup, they would have to
compromise the second box as well.  While this may not be an issue as
they were already sucessful in owning one firewall, hopefully you have
your intrusion detection system tuned to a greater degree of sensativity
in your DMZ.  And you will be able to discover this second attempt.

I do think tri-homed firewalls are a good solution, but they are not as
secure as a two firewall solution.

Dennis Depp