Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco ACL Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:54:14 -0700

  You need something like this for traceroute, but you can restrict
it to roughly the range 33000-35000.  (My experience is that >90%
of LAN users don't know how to interpret traceroute results, so
allowing the whole internal range this access may not be useful.)

  You only need something like this for DNS if you permit (Windows?)
clients to call on external DNS servers directly.  Because this opens
such a large hole, my preference is to replace "any" with the IP
addresses of my local DNS servers -- and since recursive requests
usually use 53 for both the source and destination port numbers, to
cut it down to just that port.  The piece of DNS traffic that may
need ephemeral ports is restricted to my LAN and need not pass the
perimeter.

  I know of no use of UDP by FTP.

  I avoid talking TFTP to or from "any".  If you absolutely need to
talk it to a few devices outside your perimeter, they should be explicitly
listed.

David Gillett