Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Public IP information

From: "David M. Fetter" <david.fetter () fetterconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:46:01 -0700

If you are being attacked then you should contact the company that you believe it is coming from. They should have a technical contact or abuse contact. If they do not respond then you should go to the authorities. I don't think the ISP has an obligation to provide you with the information, but they certainly are obligated to give it to the local police and/or FBI.

Ronish Mehta wrote:
Hi, we have recently seen attacks comming from a
specific IP, by query APNIC, we found that the IP was
registered to a company (say company "X LTD")

We wanted to cross check with our ISP before taking
any action, the ISP is saying that the IP is no longer
associated with company "X Ltd" but with another
company; however the ISP is claiming that the information is
confidential, and that they cannot divulgate the
identity of the company to which this IP address is
attached

Does the ISP have the right to do this?
Should not the ISP give us this information in case
APNIC is not updated?

Any other information on this issue is the most
welcome

Thanks & Regards

http://calendar.yahoo.com

--
David M. Fetter - http://www.fetterconsulting.com/

"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just skimming off a tiny bit of it." Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm