Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: email security issue

From: "Richard H. Cotterell" <seec () mail retina ar>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:21:52 -0300

Ref: David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu>'s
     message dated Wednesday, June 11, 2003, 9:02 hours.

... [text discarded as irrelevant to the answer being given].

 Most users who've been on line for more than a month or two
have learned that they cannot trust the From: header to correctly
report the source of a spam message.  There are various utilities,
such as http://www.spamcop.net, that will analyze other headers to
try to determine the actual origin (or at least the last open proxy
used).

I fail to see why one has to use a service such as *spamcop* to analyze
headers when all one has to do is take a good look at the *Received:*
information that will list all tha machines that handled the mail.

The best anyone wishing to learn about mail headers can do, is to take a
look at Gerald Boyd's pages on the subject at <http://www.expita.com>.

... [snipped for the same reason as the introduction].

David Gillett