Security Basics mailing list archives

VA vs PT tool

From: SimonChan () lifeisgreat com sg
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:07:41 +0800

Hi,

i posted some time on the list a couple of months back for some
recommendations on a good VA tool.

The bulk of the responses pointed to ISS, NetRecon and Vigilante.

However, a VA tool is limited, in that it only stops at the vulnerability.

I'm looking at a Pen Test tool that not only does the VA functionality but
also exploit the vulnerability thus
defining it as a real THREAT and not just a vulnerability.

Is there a widely accepted tool on the market right now ?

Rgds,

Simon Chan,   MCP/MCSA/CCNA/CCSA/WCSP
Senior Security Engineer

"My statements in this message are personal opinions
which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION :
The email is only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is
addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If
you, the reader of this email are not the intended recipient, any
distribution, copying or dissemination of this email is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the
sender immediately by return email and delete this email. Thank you. Please
visit our website at http://www.lifeisgreat.com.sg.

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm