Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to obtain a yahoo username off a computer

From: "Matthew Durkin" <matthew_durkin () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:39:47 +0100

Just to add my 2 penneth:
Targetting an individual in this way has definite legal implications. I work
for a large company, and we have to be *very* careful when doing any kind of
investigation on an individual. Involve your HR department (They ought to
already be involved and should have expertise in this area), and also your
legal department.
To the best of my knowledge, you are able to use system logs that are
collected generally from all systems, and for all employees, but there's a
huge can of worms if you target an individual by adding extra logging.
I don't think it would be an unreasonable exercise if you added monitoring
for all employees and made all employees aware that their activites will be
monitered and action taken agains said activities. This is seen to be
fairer, and less likely to land you in mess re privacy regs etc.
I am by no means the expert on this, but in previous investigations at my
company, we have had to be very careful in these areas.
Matthew