Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Netcraft shows ministryofsound is running IIS 5.0 on LINUX ???

From: "Matt Andreko" <mandreko () ori net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:24:52 -0500

It's most likely due to a firewall or load balancer.  For example, they
could have a linux router, which would get detected as a linux machine, that
forwards the ports inwards to a windows box running IIS.  This would detect
the firewall as windows, and the forwarded webserver as IIS.

It could also be falsified information.  If you build apache by source, you
can change the string that it says in one of the .c files.  I have also seen
some programs for windows that will do the same to IIS.  I believe URLScan
will as well.